Penalties for employing illegal workers and for failing to properly verify eligibility to work in the UK can be severe, including a significant fine for any worker illegally employed by our organisation. If it is determined that you were employing someone you know was not allowed to work in the UK or that you had reason to believe that was not the case, you can be sent to prison for five years and forced to pay an unlimited fine. If a person is subject to UK immigration control, they will need a visa to work in the UK. A person has the right to work in the UK without restriction if they are one of the following: in cases where the person is unable to provide documents proving their eligibility to work in the UK, you must ask the Home Office to verify the person`s status and obtain a positive verification opinion to confirm: that the applicant has the right to work. that you must keep as proof that you have met the requirements. Group 1 You have a time-limited legal excuse that expires when the person`s permission to reside in the UK expires. They should carry out an inspection when the document proving the expiry of their work permit. Alternatively, the worker may have received a letter from the Ministry of the Interior or immigration authorities stating that he has been granted permission to stay in the country indefinitely. This, in turn, should be accompanied by a document indicating the number and name of british social security. In your application, you must provide us with details of your legal right to work in the UK.

e.g. citizenship, residence, work permit, etc. Even if you are British, we still want you to address this fact. When you submit your application (i.e. before the deadline and deadline), you must provide proof of your legal right to work in the UK, such as a copy of your biographical passport page and work visa page. Please do not send originals by mail. Copies are acceptable. If you do not provide these documents, your application will no longer be processed. DavidsonMorris` team of immigration lawyers in the UK specialises in helping employers meet their labour rights obligations.

We offer an immigration audit service to review existing processes and procedures and identify risks and vulnerabilities that need to be considered when assessing suitability to work in the UK. We can help implement effective and compliant systems when we check a person`s eligibility to work in the UK. Employees must provide documents from List A or List B of the Ministry of the Interior`s Right to Work Orientation. For UK citizens, this could include a valid passport. According to the directives of the Ministry of the Interior of 31. In August 2021, those still awaiting a decision on an EUSS application will continue to have their residency and work rights protected in the UK while their application is pending. UK employers are required by law to check the eligibility of all the people they employ. While it can be difficult for employers to stay informed of their immigration obligations as part of preventing illegal labor regulations, non-compliance can result in enforcement action by the Ministry of the Interior and, in some cases, criminal sanctions against the employer.

You will also be penalized if you have not or not properly checked the required controls before offering a job. In these cases, you will likely receive a transfer notification and may have to pay up to £20,000 for each worker employed illegally. You have 28 days to respond if you are found responsible and can object to the decision. Non-UK or Irish citizens must have a work permit to work in the UK, including any EEA or Swiss citizen who was not a resident of the UK before 1 January 2021. The work they can do depends on the type of work permit they have. Employers can now use the online verification service as the only method of verifying an employee`s work permit if the person has the following: Non-UK residents must ensure that they have a valid immigration status that allows them to work. This means that you will need to apply for a visa from the Ministry of the Interior.